To be a dynamic vehicle for social and economic development of all under-privileged Kenyans.
- To assist in the alleviation of poverty through empowerment and allocation of appropriate resources.
- To enhance entrepreneurship, networking and skills development for employment creation and income generation.
- To promote integration and unity of the people of Kenya by creating synergies and opportunities.
- To promote social advancement of communities with emphasis on women and marginalized communities.
What We Do
We are Involved in focused projects that are actually required within communities.
Who We Are
Since independence, there has been a latent desire among the Asian Community to participate in national development. We are a Non-political, non-religious and non-profit making organization, formed in 1988. The Asian Foundation has run several community outreach programmes to economically empower those around them. Together with the Government of Kenya and the United Nations Development Programme, we have provided training for unemployed youth in various fields. Some of our trainees have been employed in the formal sector while others have become entrepreneurship.
Why We Exist
The Asian Foundation exists to relieve poverty or distress to persons who are residents of Kenya. We promote the welfare of Kenyans by providing financial assistance for the advancement of social and economic development in Kenya. This we do in partnership with the government of Kenya, through education and training for empowerment of communities. The Foundation also promotes measures supportive of a greater interaction and understanding among persons of diverse communities residing in Kenya.
AF was incorporated on 15th December 1988 and twenty-one business and professional men residing in the Republic of Kenya are the founding members. It is a Company Limited by Guarantee and not having a share capital. It has been Incorporated under the Companies Act (Chapter 486 of Laws of Kenya) as “Asian Foundation for Development” and under Certificate of Incorporation No. C 39041 issued by Government of Kenya.
Later the name of the Company was changed to the “Asian Foundation” and a change of name certification received.
Foundation is a registered charitable trust and enjoys tax-free status under the Income Tax Act.
The objectives of the Foundation according to the Memorandum of Association are as follows:
- The relief of poverty or distress of persons who are residents of Kenya
- The provision of financial assistance for the advancement of education of persons who are residents of Kenya
- The promotion of the welfare of persons who are residents of Kenya
- Promotion of measures supportive of the efforts of the Government of Kenya for social and economic development in Kenya
- Promotion of greater inter-action and understanding amongst persons of diverse communities resident within Kenya
- Any other objects which are charitable and within the exceptions specified in paragraph 10 of the First Schedule to the Income Tax Act Cap 470 of Laws of Kenya or any re-enactment of modification thereof for the time being in force
- To erect, found, establish, purchase, acquire, maintain, manage, and carry on hospitals, schools, hostels, and other charitable institutions
- To take and accept gifts and grants of moneys, lands, subscriptions and all kinds of property and assistance for the purpose of promoting the objects of the Foundation and in taking any such gifts as aforesaid to take and hold the same subject to any special conditions or trust which may be attached thereto or prescribed by the donor
- To purchase, take on lease or in exchange, hire or otherwise acquire, any movable or immovable property
- To develop the resources of and turn to account the lands, buildings and rights for the time being of the Foundation and in particular by laying out and preparing land for building purposes, constructing, altering, pulling down, decorating, maintaining, furnishing, fitting up and improving buildings, and by letting on building leases or building agreements and by advancing money to and entering into contracts and arrangements of all kinds with builders, tenants and others.
- To enter into any arrangement with any Government or authorities supreme municipal, local or otherwise that may seem conducive to the Foundation’s objects or any of them, and to obtain from any such Government or authority any rights, privileges and concessions which the Foundation may think desirable to obtain, and to carry out exercise and comply with any such agreement, rights, privileges and concessions.
- To borrow or raise any money that may be required by the Foundation upon such terms and such security as may be deemed advisable
- Where the same is desirable in pursuance of the objects of the Foundation, to lend money to such persons (whether members of the Foundation or not) or bodies as may seem expedient and to guarantee the performance of the contracts or obligations of any such persons or bodies.
- To subscribe or guarantee money for any charitable or for any purpose which may be considered to further the objects of the Foundation
- To grant pension or gratuities to any employee or ex-employee of the Foundation or any body in which the Foundation is in any way interested or any relations, connections or dependants of such persons and to establish or support associations, institutions, clubs, funds and trusts, which may be considered likely to benefit any such persons or otherwise to advance the interests of the Foundation or its members and make payment towards insurances or to institute or contribute to pension schemes for the benefits of any such persons as aforesaid.
- To obtain any provisional orders, or acts of Parliament for enabling the Foundation to carry any of its objects onto effect, or for effecting any modification of the Foundation’s constitution or for any other purpose which may seem expedient and oppose any proceedings or applications which may seem calculated directly or indirectly to prejudice the Foundation’s interests.
- To sell, improve, manage. Develop, exchange, lease, mortgage, dispose off, turn to account, or otherwise deal with all or any part of the property and rights of the Foundation.
- To pay out of the funds of the Foundation the costs, charges, and expenses incidental to formation and registration of the Foundation
- Subject to the restrictions and limitations aforesaid to do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects PROVIDED THAT the Foundation shall not support with its funds or endeavor to impose on or procure to be observed by any of its members or others any regulation or restriction which if an object of the Foundation would make it a trade union.